So it’s Thursday, I have been working out hard this week and intend to keep it up, yet was craving a little something this am. So I decided to make gluten free biscuits to go with egg whites and sauted greens.
This recipe comes from Carol Kicinski at www.simplygluten-free.com. I decided to add rosemary from our plant to add a little flava-flav! 6 ingredients with super simply instructions. My kitchen got messy but it was all worth it! The cutting of the “cold fat (butter, Earth Balance or shortening)” was definitely time consuming yet I knew it was an essential part of the biscuit coming out flaky so get into it! And I got a little ab workout kneading the dough.
Gluten Free Biscuits Recipe
1½ cups superfine white or brown rice flour plus more for rolling
¾ cup tapioca or potato starch (not potato flour)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
6 tablespoons cold fat (such as butter, Earth Balance or shortening), cut into small pieces
¾ cup milk (any kind including dairy free)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat.
- Whisk together the flour, starch baking powder and salt.
- Cut the fat into the flour either with a pastry cutter, two knives or by rubbing the fat into the flour with your fingers. Make sure you leave some larger pieces of fat.
- Add the liquid, starting with ½ a cup and gradually adding a little more at a time, mixing until the dough comes together.
- Put a little flour on a work surface and dump out the dough. Knead 3 or 4 times then either roll or pat it out to about ½ inch thick. (THIS IS WHEN I ADDED ROSEMARY) Cut into biscuits using a 2 ½ inch cookie cutter. You can gently reform the dough to cut more biscuits.
- Place the biscuits on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Serve warm.
This recipe makes 12 gluten free biscuits depending on the size.